Dahi Murgh, its a delicious Indian recipe from Punjab. Yogurt is the main marination and gravy base. Here is recipe for you all to try.
- Chicken 1 kg, cut into medium pieces
- Yogurt / Curd 5 to 6 tbsp
- Garlic 5 cloves, finely chopped
- Ginger medium size piece, finely chopped
- Green chilli 4 nos, slitted
- Coriander Powder 2 tbsp
- Cumin Powder 2 tsp
- Red chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick 1 piece
- Cumin Seeds 2 tsp
- Cardamom 3 nos, crushed
- Ghee 3 tbsp
- Dry red chilli 2 nos
- Fenugreek leaves 1/2 tsp, dried
- Tomatoes 2 chopped
- Coriander Leaves few chopped
In a large bowl, coat the chicken with yogurt and leave it in the fridge for 1 hour to tenderise. Add the ginger, garlic, green chillies, coriander, cumin powder, chilli powder, cardamom pods, cumin seeds and cinnamon to the chicken yogurt mix. Keep it in the fridge to marinate overnight. If you are in a hurry, marinate for 2 hours or minimum half an hour.
Heat the ghee in a large sauce pan, add onions and cook until brown. Add the dried fenugreek leaves, and then add the marinated chicken. Cook uncovered for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato. Add water cover and cook over very low heat for 40 minutes or until chicken cooks well and gravy thickens. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm with rice or roti.
NB: You can use boneless chicken breast pieces for this recipe. enjoy cooking..